Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Retail Therapy Went Awry

Extra! Extra! This just in...

This weekend, I am going to watch the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra in action... at their dewan, of course.

with Carl Davis, as the conductor, performing Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake!!!


But I digress.

I went after lunch to Suria to purchase the tickets (All Hail Student Discount!) and ended up strolling around the mall.

Hmm, planned to splurge on myself now that the exams are over, at least for the next 30 days.
After all the traumatic experiences having had befallen me, retail therapy is much needed. I figured. A simple therapeutic afternoon out, with friends. But well, the budget's ever meagre and limited lah. As per usual.

"I can control myself and spend minimally. Yes I can. Yes. Yes. YESSSS!!!"

Imagine the glee rubbing between my hands when I successfully walked out of Topman and Isetan, empty handed!

And then... (insert) a few other boutiques/shops as well.

Finally, somehow when I was on escalator upwards and upon besighting the big blueeee signboard... I felt an odd sense of apprehension.

It was like, an inner monologue.

"Don't enter the premises ... survive and die another day"

Or something popping out from like, a Harry Potter book.


Or something like, like that.


True enough. I managed to walk out alive, with an extremely lighter wallet! *frowns*

But with theeeesee...

Hmm, not exactly NEW ARRIVALS... But yeah, some new books, some books which I have been wanting to buy for a long time. I don't know what got into me. But I don't usually spend like 400 Malaysian Ringgit on books, at one go! Especially when they are not of the academic-slash-encyclopedia kind.


1. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro (hmm, he looks very young for a 53 year old dude!)

2. SLAM! - Nick Hornby (Haha, I was surprised when I first read his last name as HORNY!!! Shh... Don't tell anyone but the main reason I bought the book was because of the COOL COVER!!!)

3. Thousand Words of Gold - Adeline Yen-Mah (I so totally beyond words, extremely, profoundly, adoringly obssesively LURVE her FALLING LEAVES autobiography!

4. Weight Loss - Upamanyu Chaterjee (err... cos I want the big title to serve as a motivation for me to burn some fat, as well?)



Some medical-related yet non-academic books, just for the heck of it!

5. What I Learned from Medical School (a collection of medical student life stories... I'D LIKE TO LET THE WORLD KNOW THAT I WAS MAINLY COAXED INTO BUYING THIS BOOK!)

6. The Knife Man - Wendy Moore (Blood and Gore and Science... Yummy!)

7. Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery - Richard Selzer (err... the title speaks for itself!)




Now, I have to sustain myself on plain white porridge. More kicap, less pepper! No spring onions please!


Guess this is karma, Another day, another drama...

2 comments:

Medie007 said...

yerrr.. book whore... i think the most i did was 800 in 2 days, but for text books. blek :P

and hey, i thought i was the only one around who literally judge a book by the cover - cool cover, cool book! jejeje....

and what's with the losing weight with u? aren't u wearing s? *pengsan*

savante said...

No worries. I think I spend that much on books every month. Or perhaps more :)