Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Weird or Norm?

Me, being fully-bred in a small town (relatively to the capital that is Kuala Lumpur) was intrigued with the gargantuan skyscrapers and other national landmarks whenever I make my trip here in my younger days, much much younger.

Pretty jakun, I hear you!

And ever since moving here, I get surprised (impressed or the contrary) by the various facets of the people of KL. Despite all the claims that 50% of them are not even from KL.

Odd odd incidences to recollect.


When The Husband was practically extorted (with no weapon) by an elderly man at Puduraya. "Give me 2 ringgit or I will rob you off your bags" to which The Husband just walked away.


How someone I know is being taught saxophone by a guy named after a vegetable.


On witnessing an estranged couple strangling each other in public.


How a car reversed into the car behind it when the traffic lights turned green.


How you ask for a box of matches from a sundry shop and the keeper passes over a pack of incense.


Oh yeah, how can I leave out the ubiquitous *yet traumatising* of random persons urinating in public ie. AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!!


Most recently, at a drinks stall...

Makcik: "Adik, kopi O ais ni RM1.20"
Random Guy: "Makcik, aiya satu ringgit cukup dah lah!"
Makcik: "Tak boleh dik, barang semua dah naik harga dah!"
RG: "Tapi makcik, satu ringgit lah. I kan beli dari makcik tiaptiap hari."
Makcik: "Tak boleh! RM1.20!"
RG: "I sekarang ni tak ada syiling"
Makcik: "Tak apa, makcik boleh bagi balik wang tukar."
RG: "I tak nak syiling lah makcik!"
Makcik: "TAK ADA DISKAUN UNTUK KOPI O AIS!"
RG: "Boleh lah makcik? Kalau tak boleh I cancel order tu la"


Like, I could help but to be amused. So I turned my head and continued to savour my RM1.30 Teh O Ais Limau. Never have I ever seen somebody bargain for a pack of Kopi O Ais like haggling for pirated Gucci bags at Petaling Street.


Don't get me wrong. I still *heart* this city.


Unlike a neighbouring nation, where news like smuggling 40kg worth of non halal chicken is front page news! And on the primetime TV news as well!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

haha.. well.. we ARE malaysians ei.. haggling's part of our daily routine.. kinda like our speciality. even if it's cheaper by 10 cents.. trust me.. i recently bought a 16 buck umbrella, and he gave me 50 cents off.. and he was giving me the "u're gonna b so happy wit it" look -.-

William said...

You seem to attract weirdness.

Fable Frog said...

Wah~ how long have you been in KL, i never witness such things oi! LOL funny!

Anonymous said...

eh excuse me. it isn't MY fault that SOMEBODY is named after a vegetable ok.

savante said...

Good god. Bargaining for cheap drinks?!