Monday, May 02, 2011

My Quarter-life Crisis



Age is just a number.

Hmm, is it really?

Somehow pondering about my coming-of-age is keeping me awake, haha yeah it's 3.00 a.m. now on our extended May Day holiday weekend. Oh darn you ageing hormones!

Dear ol' Joshyboi is turning a quarter-century old this Saturday.

Oh you heard it right! 25. TWENTY-FIVE. oh my gosh, did i just hear somebody say that 25 is the new 40?

Needless to say, all that has got me into a panic of sorts. Panic for and about myself.

I look around me and I see my peers doing all sorts of stuff with their lives. Grown-up stuffs. I have a few classmates who just got married or are engaged to married immediately after graduation this year. Another has purchased a new BMW from his side-job profits (how one juggles a business and medschool amazes me!). Old friends from home have either married and produced cute babies... or are set to do so soon; own properties or are just putting their downpayments. Other friends have been promoted upsohigh-ohsofast in their respective jobs.

Well, I can go on and on.

Looking at the guy in the mirror, well, I ask, what about me? What am I doing with my life?


At this point; where I am is a traffic junction, somewhere where the road forks. I am finally here. Where my friends have already passed this point and travelled on their paths while ... I am just trodding my way along.

For one, I reckon I have an adventurous streak. Add on major impulsive traits. Sounds like a recipe for disaster right? Ah even medical school was made against the family's wishes. *keeping my fingers crossed to graduate on time!*

While others are earning money and supporting their families (or however they choose to spend their riches), I am still dependent on Mummy. A basic stipend, with occasional begging for extras! Haha! Gonna start working soon, so it's my time to pay back my dues. :)

Finishing medschool is gonna such a relief. It has been a rollercoaster ride, lasting 5 years, filled with a lifetime of stories. Oh so I thought.

Now comes the real deal of work. And prior to that, deciding where to do my internship (read: house-officer jobs). And then, which postgraduate pathway to pursue??? OBGYN? Anaesthesia? General Surgery? :( No thanks to those who have already started revising for their MRCP Part 1 exams (gosh, you haven't even finished your MBBS!)

Honestly, I have only seriously considered planning for my graduation trip! :) 6 weeks of backpacking!

Yeah, gonna turn 25 soon. Oh my.

Still single, last I checked. Numerous potential relationships sparked and died off. Being geographically-displaced is an obvious disadvantage. Or maybe I have turned uninteresting/unattractive. Nvm lah, still young right? *cough cough*

Everybody around me's dating somebody. Always being the odd 'lamp-post' puts me off sometime. Ah... Probably should just stay at home and mope. Ha!

"Oh baby. If only we weren't hundreds of miles apart..."

If only. So many 'if-only'... enough to drown me.

So I run. Running seems to be an addiction these days. Running helps me vent out all the $^#(@!% I have accumulated throughout a regular day. It helps me focus (some of my best ideas this semester were conjured while running, yay!). Most importantly, it helps me lose that annoying lovehandle staring back at me in the mirror!

It may be ohsocliched if I speak of how running has changed my life for the better and all that hooha. So I shall refrain from that and just give a short commentary anyways haha! Running has become a part of my life and it's been a positive change all around. Gonna join a kinda big-scale 'international marathon' down south later this month.

Please pray that I don't collapse and die on the tar road. Thankyouverymuch!

Life's generally good for me. Been good all this while and I am grateful for everything. I can't complain.

I know I am a very lucky boi.

I don't need to have everything or to have perfection to be happy. Or contented.


With that being said, nothing's gonna stop me from partying hard on my birthday! Woohooooo!!!


Went to Mama Monster's concert lady for my birthday last year! Wonder what's in store this year?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you just gonna spend your 25th year by just running, running and running only? Hahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

An advanced wish for you: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! May you have a bright and wonderful future ahead.

J said...

Omg, I so understand what you're going through!!!

Vincent~ said...

aiyo! lets go backpacking together! xD

but seriously where u now? @@ in uk oso a? sorry a, damn blur. lolx

Anonymous said...

am sure you'll have a better birthday this year (:

with all the running, watch the knee tho. happy be-earlied birthday xx

thompsonboy said...

Stop being dramatic. 25 is young and with med on your cred, you will soon be outearning plenty of people. 25 is not quarter life as life expectancy these days are low. 30 is mid life but a good life. Just enjoy your youth...

the viennamese said...

Actually, with life-expectancy dwindling these days, 25's actually more than a quarter. Try one-third? Heh heh.. Oh deary me. Won't be long till I'm there. Eeks!