Monday, October 29, 2007

Lagenda

So I guess I spent my Sunday pretty productively...

Had a nice family breakfast and lunch with the closer bunch of cousins and aunt. Brought them to my apartment and showed them how I have been living like for the past year. (close to a dump-slash-bachelor's pad somewhat)

I guess even people related by blood need to renew the bonds and camaderie once in a while. Even better so, when done, over endless brews of premier Tianjin Oolong cha, heart-attack-inducing hypersugary cupcakes and wantan noodles.

The weird mix, describes befittingly the identity of my maternal family (in the extended form). Bamboo shoots growing waywardly (towards Savoy maybe) yet heavily rooted to the China-ness and watered upon by the local torrents. Ooookay, another odd analogy huh?

And then I went to watch this...


Yup, me did successfully acquire pretty good (and pricey tickets) for the very hyped-up, sensation of the local theatre scene, P. RAMLEE THE MUSICAL at Istana Budaya! [Honestly, I gotta thank CK (good friend and part of the stellar cast) who leaked out news about the extra tickets available after a corporate booking yang tak jadi!)

Also, thank the magnificent powers of STUDENT DISCOUNT!!! I got the best tickets (cos they were the only ones left) RM200.00 at RM161.50 (RM1.50 ticket handling fee) 20% discount wei!

Note: Food at the cafeteria at the national theatrette TOTALLY FAIL AND CANNOT MAKE IT! Yet mahal cam nak memufliskan segala pelanggannya!


Yup, the oh-so-famous Royal Albert Hall songbird of Malaysia, Dato' Siti Nurhaliza who is coincidentally a Datin made a special appearance as one of the 5 main leads, playing Azizah, muse to P.Ramlee from his younger, waaaayyy younger days.

One wonders why is she a main lead although her total stage time did not exceed 10 minutes (even if it includes the final cast acknowledgment at the end) in a production that is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes long. It comes with the name I guess. Branding of the Made-in-Malaysia kind.

I am not really qualified to make a proper review on the show but I loved it. Spectacular with an excellent cast, wonderful songs, a kinda cogent storyline and sufficient excitement in store.

But I gotta say, I love love love the love duet between P. Ramlee and Azizah in the first Act. Very the mushy, sweet and pulling heartstrings at all the right places.


Me is still trying to decipher whether the 'd' lookalike on top of the Dato's signature meant Dato'? or <3?

Sean Ghazi did very well. Well with his voice and demeanour, he'd make anyone swoon. But I think the leading ladies of the show STOLE ALL THE LIMELIGHT!!!

The Jealous Junaidah (1st wife) , The Numbing Norizan (2nd wife, former consort of some Sultan) and The Seductilicious Songstress Saloma (love of his life? 3rd and final wife)

Loved the portrayal of Junaidah (or Junainah? Dah? Nah? Dah? Nah? LOL) by Atilia... ooohh somehow I can't take my eyes off her. I love the whole lady-in-kebaya image! Had hoped for a longer stage time for her though. Aww, too bad.

Melissa Saila totally blew me away with her role as the 2nd wife. Modern, never seen in a Melayu outfit, and very independent. Yet succumbing to be a lonely, neglected wife at the end. OMG WOW the confrontation between P. Ramlee and Norizan when they gaduh besar till I nearly thought he would shout talak tiga, was my fave break-up scene EVER!

And of course, Liza Hanim as Saloma... Hmm, I cannot imagine anyone else playing that role any better lor. Voluptous, sexy in a totally abiding-by-the-holy-books way, and an artiste in her own right. The chemistry between her and Sean Ghazi was scorching!

What I cannot get is why some guys in the seats behind me whistled everytime she golek-ed? EVERYTIME OKAY!!!

Like, this is NOT TV3's Karnival Sure Heboh lah?

[After the show] As we were broke from the tickets which were still off-budget for students (even after Student Discount), The Boyfriend and I had packed chap fan for dinner under the lights of this national pride.

Saloma sings this at the end of the closing act:

Dan siapakah dia
yang telah berjaya
menghuni di hati
kita semua?
Dia telah membawa
Makna dan kenangan
Cinta yang pertama…


But yeah, I have like NOT fallen in love with P. Ramlee (with all due respect, he was a great influence on terrestrial TV as I was growing up) but I have gained a whole new respect for the local theatre scene ... as impressed with the Season 2 of Puteri Gunung Ledang - The Musical last year.

It's corny and stuff, but somehow, I believe that if the trend of Malaysian arts is progressing continues this way, then maybe, just maybe, this industry can exclaim Malaysia Boleh!

5 comments:

savante said...

Aiya! That good ah. Damn, I missed it. Been so busy doing calls dammit.

Kihu said...

ROMANTIKNYA!

drownedglass said...

I think Datuk Siti's name is bigger than her cameo role calls for simply because she is the best known person in the show as for as the masses are concerned. And they do want to attract as many people as possible.

adrien said...

I. missed. it.

:(

David The Man said...

Ohhh... I so loved P. Ramlee... watched his funny comedies and laughed out loud at them, particularly the "Bujang Lapuk" ones. Yeah, really enjoyed watching it with my family members. My dad especially loved to watched those comedies. Oh, those were the days. We loved them lots and we heart them lots too.

Oh yeah, not forgetting to tell you that you have also been tagged to do a meme, besides other fellow bloggers who are also tagged. Go check out my blog, yea!