Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Books! Books! Lovely Lovely Books!

This post may have arrived way late beyond its ETA.

But yeah, since I am practically on holidays now so WTV la.

WTV = whatever

Note: EXTREMELY AFFECTED BY THE FESTIVE MOOD.

But truthfully, this is my study break and whatever short time I have left to buck up in view of my MEGA-SCARY-HUMONGOUS-EXAMS -OF-UNIVERSAL-IMPORTANCE!!!

Which is arriving on the 5th day of the Chinese New Year. Talk about getting a big angpow!!!

As a matter of fact, I don’t want to get a grade deserving of a red ink by any means.


And ahem, to think that I have had it bad enough. There’s more.

The following dictates my duties on the public holidays:

Christmas Eve and The Day itself: Internal Medicine attachment in Penang
(and the whole week thru, mind you!)

New Year’s Day: General and Family Medicine posting at a government hospital in a district, which does NOT HAVE BROADBAND COVERAGE!
(well, at least they have 80 sen per scoop ice-cream)


I digress, again.

Well, as you may have read on Ah Bong’s blog (too lazy to link html-ly), there was this Penguin Book Fair last month, which apparently only happens once every 5 years or so. It was at some factory zone/lot/place near Menara Axis. Hence, being the book-whore that I am, I paid the fair a lil visit of course.

(Yes, my landmarks are mostly gym buildings or malls. I am only able to recognise of such nature. I am a fag. Sue me!)

44 books!

Anyways, wanna make a shoutout to the friend who told me about it and brought me there. I don’t get the surprise element you wanted to pull off that day though. People, this guy is the official Google Earth – Klang Valley on legs.

O.M.F.G. *signature jawdrop* Yup, it happened to me, like I was on tetany when I grabbed a book and saw the price tag saying ‘RM10’

Dirt cheap, yes! Fabulously.

But the very first book I encountered was The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai, Booker Prize winner 2006. Which I paid RM49.90 for, at Borders, 3 months prior.

WTF. (Acronym for what the f**k!)

My personal version has a little small dot on top of the 'F'. Recall your maths. You will get what I mean.

In short, I went book-crazy and grabbed like a dozen books and it was a rush, alright. We got there at 5.00 p.m. and it was bound to close an hour later. I definitely got some new reprints of some classics, leaped at the chance, literally.

There was no way I could finish getting new stuffs for my ever-expanding classy *cough cough* literary collection in time.

So I went back the next day. And the day after.

Total number of books acquired = 44

Total DAMAGE to bank account = RM 569

An average price of RM12.9318 for each book. Good buy no?

Anyways, to summarise things. Here is the purchased list.

RM22 for a hardcover novel!!!

1. Anansi Boys – Neil Gaiman

2. Neverwhere – Neil Gaiman

3. Fragile Things – Neil Gaiman [Bought this as the first copy I had, had book-pneumonia on a sampan ride in Redang]

4. Panic (signed copy) – Jeff Abbott

5. Saving Fish from Drowning – Amy Tan

6. The Jane Austen Book Club – Karen Joy Fowler

7. Lion Boy – Zizou Corder

8. Trouble - Jesse Kellerman

9. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

10. A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks

11. The Sonnets and A Lover’s Complaint – William Shakespeare

12. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte

13. Everything is Illuminated – Jonathan Safran Foer [Elijah Wood on the cover!!!]

14. Single Professional Man – John Womersley

15. Odd One Out – Lissa Evans

16. The Undercover Economist – Tim Harford

17. Wicked – Gregory Maguire [Gay! Gay! Gay! married author]

18. Never the Bride – Paul Magrs [Younger Gay! Gay! Gay! author]

19. Hospital – Toby Litt


On the backcover:-
LOSING WEIGHT: "Keep on bearing children as long and as often as possible."
DRINKING WHISKEY: "Whiskey cures a great many ailments, infallibly by killing the patient."

20. A Book of Curious Advice: Most Unusual Manners, Morals, Medicine from Days of Yore – Ruth Pepper Summers

21. The Man who Ate Everything – Jeffrey Steingarten

22. The Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 ¾ - Sue Townsend [LOVE THIS BOOK LONG TIME!]

23. Number Ten – Sue Townsend

24. Animal Farm - George Orwell [The BF's purchase]

25. Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibson [The BF's purchase]

26. Will the Boat Sink the Water?: The Life of China’s Peasants – Chen Guidi and Wu Chuntao [BANNED IN CHINA!]

27. The New Life – Orhan Pamuk

28. The Art of War – Sun Tzu [Who knows? Maybe someday we will go to war?]

29. Don’t Eat This Book – Morgan Spurlock [Another book to spur me to lose me flabs!]

30. Desperate Housewives: Behind Closed Doors – Marc Cherry?

[OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! I have always always always wanted to buy this super cool coffee table book! A memorabilia from Season 1. Always too broke for the ₤12.99 price tag! BUT NOW I HAVE IT!!! Wheee! *gleeful sinister laughter*]

31. The Complete Polysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby

32. The Anatomy of Hope – Dr Jerome Groopman [Medicine-related book, ‘nuff said!]

33. The Merlion and The Hibiscus: Contemporary Short Stories from Singapore and Malaysia

34. Best Man – Matt Dunn [Err what's the male versh of chick lit? Dick lit? Someone enlighten me please!]

35. The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook – Matt Dunn

36. 4 Blondes – Candace Bushnell

37. Notes from a Turkish Whorehouse – Philip O’Ceallaigh [Fancy cover plus some donno-what book prize winner la!]

38. The Magpie Bridge – Liu Hong

39. Jennifer Government – Max Barry [The BF MADE me buy it!!!]

40. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian – Marina Lewycka [THIS LADY IS SOOOO FUNNY!]

41. Curse of the Mega-boobed Bimbos – Grace Dent [Haha... I wanna write the Mega-endowed Himbo version!]

42. Traditional Chinese Medicine for Women – Xiaolan Zhao [For Mummy Dearest, I Swear!]

Note the size difference, but only RM3 difference in price?

43. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro (Large Print)

44. Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro (Budget Print) - For the Ex Down South punya birthday!



This adds up the number of books I have bought but YET to read to a grand sum of 61!!!

*gasp!*

9 comments:

Kihu said...

OMG... SOOO MANY BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS!!!!!

As Count the O's in the word book up there and u will know how much u bought.. gosh!

Unknown said...

the number of books that u read.. omg -.- *drops dead* after med school, i'm not touching anything tat require physical flipping and words. haha but some of those books are cool! >< *high 5* despo housewives!! =p

adrien said...

omg why didn't anyone tell me bout this!? i'm getting tired of amazon.com.

savante said...

No worries! You'll finish it during electives.

William said...

How did you punggah all that home?!

Little Prince said...

crazy...

Anonymous said...

bookaholic on the loose. haha :P

J.L said...

44 in 1 time?

how you carry??

Medie007 said...

OMFG! yealar 10 bucks they may be, but i'd rather keep me money to meself... i've got enough books to chew on, textbooks they are tho. ugh...

OMFG!

OMFG!

OMFG!

still OMFG!!

u. a.r.e. s.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y. ....

LMAO...