Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Recently

Home is where the heart is, huh?

Well, I am technically in my hometown, doing some elective posting with my family's favourite physician.

Imagine Grey's Anatomy.

Where Izzie, Cristina, Meredith, Alex run around Addison, McDreamy, McSteamy (drools!) and Bailey the Nazi. (true up to Season 3). Where the young ones are being tortured, or subjected to whatever 'training' the seniors deem fit. Ah the inevitable unkind words and sinister laughter when someone falters.

Except this is a 10-hour long stint daily. Not a 45-minute episode per week!

"You're supposed to know this! Why don't you know this?" "Pay close attention!" "No, you cannot see this!" "You are not colourblind, assess correctly!" "If you don't know this, you will FAIL!"


And like, WHO ELSE IN THE WHOLE WIDE EARTH HAS DO TO HOMEWORK WHEN THEY ARE ON ELECTIVE?????

Nobody, but me. Yes people. I have to go home and study and complete assignments to present to my external supervisor =(

Even after long long days, sometimes with no lunch break.

But all's well.

I am grumbling here. But OMG I am learning so much, seen/touched/heard/percussed a lot of the pathological manifestations ONLY seen/described in theory.

Also, it does not hurt when I am acknowledged for answering questions correctly.

I can see worse things coming in the later years so I guess this is preparation for the onslaught? To be fair, the doctors I am following are very passionate about their jobs and naturally have higher expectations. Okay, not all. But mostly they are very inspiring and motivating lor.

In them, I see hope for the country! [Like the recent tides of change in politics la...]

Especially my supervisor. OMG his philosophical talks are so uplifting and encouraging. Like he is a celestial being-incarnate or something like that. Like HOW CAN ANYONE BE SO NEUTRAL AND NICE?

I wanna be like him. He is my Superhero!

In summary, my routine (6 days/week) goes like this:

Wake up, Surgery/Imaging, Lunch [sometimes unavailable], Clinic Hours, (Gym [whenever I am not lazy, and that's very often]), Home, HOMEWORK, Call the BF, SLEEEEEPPP.

Press *repeat*.

One word: NO LIFE!

Naked people, cleaning poo, examining newborn babies, boobies, vaginas [I have seen more in a week than most straight guys would dream of, in a lifetime! And this involves sticking long, slim sticks into them], touching patients at various parts of their bodies, gasping at fountains of blood [SOOOOO MUCH BLOOOD!|!!! Good thing I am not into the vampire cult], received the arrival of new life into the world, listening to yelling angry patients, neurotic hypochondriacs, collapsing patients et cetera.

Also, watching floating faeces on video! And AMITRYPTYLLINE - the magic pill!

One question: WHY zero HOT GUY PATIENTS????? Whyyyy??? =(

All in all, an overwhelming holistic experience!


*But, but, but... my heart is longing for somewhere else. ;P



Ad Errata: If there's any mistakes in any form, I apologise. I am freeloading off the paediatrician's comp while she's away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...

i'd gladly go for 10-hour attachments and come back and do homework every day.

William said...

Vaginal swabs!? ugghhhhh...

drownedglass said...

touched... a lot of the pathological manifestations...

Like, EEEW! Stay far, far away from me!

Medie007 said...

fun fun fun fun fun fun fun!!!! :D

Little Dove said...

You did pap smears? Malaysian female patients are immensely private, not even female medical students get to perform the procedure. *green with envy*