Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Good Good Day!


I don't know if it's actually a problem...

But I am actually liking Family Medicine (aka General Practice) waaayyy more than I ever expected!

Okay, getting answers right does motivate me much! And the occassional, rare praise from lecturers.

So I had just finished performing an ECG on an uncle, and was on my way back to the teaching clinic...

And there she was, an elderly Chinese woman, frail-looking, slightly kyphotic, with a walking stick right in front of the elevators. Her tears were welling up.

She looked up at me, and proceeded to grab my forearm.

Me: Yes, auntie?
Auntie: Boy, can you bring to the laboratory? I need to trace my reports. The doctor sent me up here to get it myself. My knees are in pain.

And then the tears kept pouring.

Me : *OMG OMG OMG!!! What did I do? What to do now?*
Auntie: My son is useless. His wife is heartless. They don't care about me. I am sick and nobody cares for me. I had to come to the clinic myself, all alone.
Me: Are they busy at work?
Auntie: NO!!! Today they have a day-off work. And they just don't care.
Me: I am so sorry, Auntie.

As we slowly walked to the laboratory department, she wailed. The crowd stared at me.

OMG!

Auntie: Nobody cares about me. I am going to die soon, and rot without anyone knowing.
Me: Don't be so sad, Auntie. You must take good care of your health! You must love yourself more.
[Corny, I know!]

I let her sit in the waiting area while I enter the lab to beg for the auntie's report.

Later, I walked her down to the Outpatient Department to see her doctor.

Auntie: My son is useless. He doesn't care about me. His wife is evil.
Me: Err... may be they have issues?
Auntie: They make me work at their bakery and care for their baby. But I get nothing in return. They treat me like rubbish.
Me: Err...

*Enter the Doctor*

Doctor: I very angry at this auntie!
Auntie: *cries somemore* Why you angry at me, Dr? I didn't do anything to you!
Doctor: I joke only, Auntie! Don't cry. I am worried because you always skip your appointments.
(err, bad timing for a joke?) Boy, tell this auntie... Blablabla.. medical jargon... blablabla... She is very lucky to have met you, boy! (Aww! *blushes*)

Then, I ran up to different departments to set the dates for her follow-up appointments for the upcoming months, collect her medication for her, gave her some 'patient education' material etc.

And I was practically her walking stick for the whole hour. Which involved me walking very veryyyyy slowwwwlllyyyy...

Auntie: I believe that people who do good will run into nice people who will help them. I do a lot of donations. Hehe!
Me: Yes auntie! Good karma?
Auntie: You have been such an angel to me, today! Come come, I give you the card to my son's bakery. I will give you a free Butter Cake when you come, since you have helped me so much today!
Me: It's okay Auntie! You're welcome! *beaming smile* Hehe!

As I was about to leave her and return to the teaching clinic...
Auntie: Is this your ID number on your tag?
Me: Yes. It's to identify me as a student.
Auntie: *took out a pen and started scribbling on her newspaper. THE LAST FOUR DIGITS OF MY ID NUMBER!*

Auntie: Do you have a car?
Me: Yes, Auntie. I drive to the hospital/clinic.
Auntie: Can give me your carplate number?
Me: Auntie, you want to buy 4D ah? Strike lottery ah?
Auntie: Ya you also know ah? I feel very lucky today to have met you ma. Must try my chance.
Me: Okay Auntie. You take care okay? I have to get back to my class.
Auntie: Goodbye nice boy. I wish you every success in becoming a great doctor. I can see it in you already.

Me: *OMG I feel so shy shy leh!*

This experience totally made my day!!! =)

Great reminder as to why and what am I doing here in med school!!!

The experience just keeps getting harder, better, and the drive all the more stronger! Don't hate me, B!!!

The oddest thing was it all happened a few hours after I read Little Dove's latest post, right before I left home in the morning. =)


P.S. Half of Seremban had a major blackout just this evening!!! Even the streetlights were off!!! We nearly had to have dinner in the dark (there wasn't even a single candle at the restaurant we wanted to dine at!) Haha, good thing there is Aeon Jusco in Seremban 2!!!

Thanks again for dinner and the great company, buddy! =) Get me goodies from London alrighty!!!

14 comments:

Little Dove said...

Well done Joshy. ^_^

p/s: Ask her to share prize money with you if she wins? ;p

Medie007 said...

dont worry J, i won't hate you for this.

I actually enjoyed my stay in family medicine as well. hahaha. i just haven't blogged about all my corny lines in the clinic.

hahahahaha trust me, it's way way waaaay cornier and eeewikh than yours. LOL

Glog said...

Yay...
You are just so helpful...
Makes you a gret doctor!

Sam said...

My god... I'm envious of you medical students. You guys get to do all the fun stuff! Arghhh~~~

Kenji said...

OMGZ! I just remember one of my very good friend is in Seremban! xD

But anyway, that's beside the point! The point is... IF only she knew what was in your mind hahaha! Nahh joking, I'm sure have every good intention in helping her! :P

Janvier said...

And we thoughts that here you were kena waylaid by a warded Zoloft patient pretending to be an outpatient! :P

Life for Beginners said...

So angels still walk this earth! :)

Fable Frog said...

glad you are enjoying yourself and helping others at the same time~ good deed indeed~ and ya, half of seremban experience post-earth-hour black-out for like 3 hours~ kekeke

drownedglass said...

Correction. There WAS literally a single candle in the restaurant on the table where the couple were seated. Still not enough light to see what you're eating, though.

And gawd, you just wanna have goodies from london >.<

V said...

awwww....

wat can i say more....beautiful ppl like u manifest ur heart beautifulness beautifully ~ :)

.:: Ant ::. said...

Good boi! Now where's the 4d number you promised me? Grrrrrr

+Ant+

TZ said...

Errrrr... why no one come and help me in HKL... :p I have to run here and there in HKL.. blek!

Twilight Man said...

Besides Anton DK, I can ask you for 4D numbers, rite?

Ryan said...

Question: Why couldn't she be shuffled around in a wheelchair?

Yeah, u r turning out to be a fabulous doctor, Dr. Josh!