Wednesday, December 15, 2010

History

At a time where I figured I have grown out of my roots and am about to take flight, I am reminded about where I came from. And how my family helped me grow through it all.

Disappointments. Heartbreaks. Tears and Laughter. Joy. Celebrations of all sorts. Birth of new additions to the family tree.

And death. How the only certain thing in life (besides tax!) changes our lives and the whole dynamics of this nucleus.

How a person can alter to the whole structure that we have grown accustomed to.

Like a wheel, we go up and down. Intermittently. Like tides that come and go. I draw this similarity with our family relations. Awfully dysfunctional (maybe even polemic) at times. And totally bursting with love and affection (when the stars align to make this miracle possible).


Some things just stand the test of time. Free of woes and worries as they remain as they are steadfast in their own right. As such this family's policies and practices have stayed. How the young should conform to expectations and fill in the boxes designed for them. Oh how easy it is to follow! Generation after generation, this beloved family of mine have succumbed to this trend. Till we came to mine. Most decided to step out of the box, carve a direction for themselves but with only one foot out the door.


And well I? I went against the future that was drafted out meticulously by the elders. And for a while, I was the black sheep of the family. People fear what they do not know. I was not exiled per se, thankfully. I guess it takes a while for a group of conservatives to open up their minds to new ideas.

Things aren't all rosy and pretty yet. Not just yet. But we're getting there. :)

Probably it is true. Nothing breaks the blood that binds. Spending a long weekend together has probably giving me a glimpse of the sturdy foundations of our family. Change is coming but we are all in it together.

The innocent days of yore have long past us by. How I miss them. But all that's left to do is to keep walking forward. Keep walking.

No comments: