Saturday, August 26, 2006

What did I get myself into?

@#%&^*#@$

Guess what? I am already in university.

Tertiary education. Brand new, much-awaited phase in life (hardly something I anticipate noting me so lazy). Fresh start.

How on earth did I end up HERE??? In a sorta-semi-ulufied place with a shamefully small campus... in comparison... and with a weird housemate. An oddity, who just proclaimed to me (with his guest friend) is planning to have an entourage of str8 guys going to LQ next week. Hmm...

You know what I hate most? Being a freshman...

Why?

Cos juniors get bullied by seniors lor. And me prefers to be on the bullying side... as per usual.

ORIENTATION WEEK starts Monday. Ah the "excitement"!

Anyways, me started talking to ppl... Naturally I talk... like A LOT... of BIMBO-worthy things... But...

It's only like Week Zero on the Academic Calendar. And there are people so uptight and stressed out, having the overly-enthusiastic attitude of wanting to be on the Dean's List, being President of this club that club, wanting to get a minimum of straight As and other despicable kiasu acts... Goodness, we haven't been orientated yet. =(

I mean, rilek lah bradder... So stress what for, man?

So yeah, getting into a programme where MOST of the candidates are soooo particularly anal about grades and merely their textbooks... where do I fit in?

Will I even ever fit in? But shouldn't I have expected this in the first place? Was I too hasty bout this???

I don't know, as of yet.

In perspective, I am only human. And people usually get fearful and worry when we are put in unfamiliar circumstances.

Aaah... I met a guy who tutors a national athlete and is overly super-high achiever. And another girl who skipped like donno-how-many years of school... and is entering uni at 16!!! Oh, there's this really really really irritating guy who cannot stop talking about how he's only in our university cos he did not get accepted elsewhere (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Melbourne etc) despite his excellent grades and track record.



Here I stand, a mere tiny dwarf in a hall overflowing with giants.



Am I really ready for this???

I better be. I chose this route. So now, just Plug 'n Play!
(A look at the timetable for the semester and one shall faint)

16 comments:

Ganymede said...

Ah the kiasus. How fun... Dem annoying people are what they are... Oh well. Have fun in your new life. :P

Kihu said...

well if they are not kiasu, they might not end up studying medicine wat.. ! Although there's some exception like u.. But still some of medicine students really KIASU to MAX lor! Prepare for the worst yah!

savante said...

No worries, man! I did all that and I'm still alive - though knocked a few screws loose, I'm sure. You'll do fine. Just stick to your books when exams are near :)

Paul

pakcik said...

haha..well well..student life. err..just be yourself lor. skip class if u feel like it. i did that a lot ;)

MrBunnyBan said...

Don't worry, sure can pass one. Uni's not so tough the first year.

...err, does that apply to medicine though? Nevermind!

hrugaar said...

You normally like to be on the bullying side?? Well there you are then, heh. Bullies are cowards, and fate is teaching you a little humility by throwing you in a bigger pond la. (jk) :oD

When I first went to univ I knew diddly-squat about anything - and no-one was that interested in me or what I knew (or didn't know) anyway. Gues nothing much changed really, la. But by second year Idid start enjoying it and found my own 'place' there. Main thing is to enjoy what you're doing, and ignore the self-style gods. :o)

senaiboy said...

welcome to the world of medical students =)

there's much more to come.. *wink*

ps - ooh me ur senior leh. respect sikit ok? den maybe i'll rag u a little less. maybe. a little. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey let the kiasus be kiasu. You just do it your own way (a cringeworthy phrase but I couldn't find a better way of putting it).

Have fun during your orientation week! And don't let the irritating people bug you. I recommend telling that guy "Yah lor. You should go there now and demand entry rather than stand here and waste my time. Oh, I mean your time. Haha.", then flip your hair and walk coolly away.

Or maybe not.

Xavier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Xavier said...

U will be fine and will have a lot of fun.

Life changing experiences and lessons will be paved in front of you as well.

As u walk, u shall mature in thoughts and skills.

A new enchanting journey, that is full of colorful mirages and subtle realities has just begun.

And so I have spoken.

Best Wishes from Notroh Woods :)

Harvey said...

Wah, this reminds. My time to Uni is coming soon (2 to 3 weeks). Eeek, I understand. There were some genius in my college too, and they made me feel so inferior.

Nevertheless, this is a new page of your life, to become the NEXT super gay Doctor. :)

josh kimura said...

Welcome to my life (uni life) LOL
Congrats anyway. Bullies? Luckyly it doesnt happen in my uni's. Or else they'll taste the wrath of JM(our deputy V.C.) Arent the seniors are such loving people?? hahaha

Cant hardly wait for my life of becoming my parent assets!

m@tt'ĥëW said...

interesting blog u have

uni is fun, u will enjoy it!!
all the best

ikanbilis said...

have fun! seriously.

William said...

Paul, is Josh your protege?

ikanbilis said...

oh god. i just realised something. I KNOW THAT 16 Y.O GIRL!! SHE IS MY BUDDY!! you're in SEGi college right?