Sunday, December 21, 2008

5 Years Today



'Permanent' by David Cook.

Both of us first met, today, exactly 5 years back... I still remember it almost to crystal-clear perfection. It's really shocking to realise it has been half a decade.

It was at Fort Canning. A mutual friend, T brought D (The Ex, as mentioned in prior post) along for a sightseeing picnic and photography trip. It was a picnic alright, with Coca-cola and Pringles.

A few hours later, I found myself sitting next to him at the Dhoby Ghaut Interchange while waiting for a Red Line train to send me back to Newton. Yes, he was on the same line too; in another direction. We finally started talking. Three hours later, we were still there with a few bucks burnt off our ezlink cards. (SMRT's crazy scheme of having time limits for travels!)

And we hung out the next day. He brought me to his favourite chocolate bar at the Esplanade. (closed down in 2005! Bummer!)

As fate would have it, we ended up in the same JC. Thank goodness we weren't in the same class, or else it might be pretty odd seeing each other for close to 10 hours daily.

We were already chatting on MSN (compared to ICQ back then!) or glued to phone till the wee hours of the morning.

Anyways, we were an item 2 weeks later!

In retrospect, it's pretty hilarious how teensy we were as a couple. We used to write love notes for each other and slipped them into our respective lockers on an almost daily basis. There were times when I found a balloon tied to my locker or when he found his favourite chocolates inside his locker (Okay I hacked in lah, he has this habit of using the same combination for all his locks) among other mushy things.

Not long after, things began to change. Arguments were a daily staple inclusive of the dramatic events (yes, very painful for both of us, I believe!) I figure we were both pretty emo teens back then; me being a dumb 17 year old and he was 16.

We broke up and got back together a few times. Unknowingly, we grew further and further apart. Enter: More emotional tension and a storyline worthy of a Hollywood script. With a pretty ugly climax - the final break-up was a messy one.

We didn't talk for months.

It must have been some miracle or divine intervention cos we started being friends again. Our dynamics worked even better than ever before. From boyfriends to best friends, we grew and matured together.

Throughout the past 5 years, we have each experienced umpteen ups-and-downs and I was his rock and he was my anchor. Haha I wish I could share the traumatic stories, but they are just too damn personal lah.

Argh, I have digressed so much. And this post was supposed to be a short one, within limits of like 300 words max and now I have blabbered on so much.

It's really amazing how our friendship has stood strong against the changing tides of time and distance. Especially, noting how our story unfolded.

It's comforting to know that no matter what happens, he will always be two steps behind. I know he's got my back (when he is not out saving all of humankind!) Of course, I have other fantabulous friends who will also do the same lah, but just focus on him for this post alrighty!

Oh, he is also one of the very few people who I know have zero expectations of me :) That means a lot.


What we have is small but special.

What we share is permanent.

We are permanent.


p.s. I just got a postcard from him! the picture was of Bulls... LOL

14 comments:

Ganymede said...

Gosh this reminds me of me and my ex. We're better off bestfriends than lovers.

nase said...

Life is a journey and in your many paths crossed, there will be those where two different ones come together for awhile and then divide as always. But it's the moment that the road that you both took together that shall remain forever ingrained in your mind and heart.

It's true we seek different things and have other issues and needs as we grow older, but often times we end up as better friends than we were lovers.

Anonymous said...

wait, i'm confused. are we talking abt ure ex or ure current? *scratches head*

Sam said...

My first ex and I are better off friends than lovers (and I know we're perfectly great as a couple when we're together) - but then again, I'm gay and she's a she. ;)

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

This is such a beautiful post. Made me smile. Thank you for this =)

joshua said...

QR, funny sometimes how things work out huh?

Nase, wise words from Master Yoda! And yeah, everybody needs another friend these days...

closetalk, lol my ex... from aeons ago. my current and I are doing great *blushes*

Sam, now you two can go guy-ogling together! Hehe

CDO, thanks... It was purely an emotional compulsive thing, in the early hours of the day lol

savante said...

Ooh sweet. Good to have a friend, travel down the road and back again. Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidante.

AJ v2 said...

at least u've been attached to someone~

i'm an ugly duckling....no one wants me for who i am....just a trophy of champion of the un-chartered territory :(

Medie007 said...

i would never ever imagined of having one with the colleague...

Anonymous said...

Awww... such a sweet story. I want more! Hahaha!!! Waiting for the next post.

Unknown said...

haha~ like wat sam said, some people are better off as frens than lovers~ =)

There's the expectation & commitment..

Merry xmas Joshy~

.:: Ant ::. said...

Have a Blessed Christmas! ^_^

+Ant+

Mr.D said...

It happens. But in the end as long as everyone is in good terms, it is fine i guess.

Merry Xmas.

XanFactor said...

some of what the philippines can offer...

vote now: http://xanfactor2006.blogspot.com


merry christmas