Thursday, December 11, 2008

Has Dating Turned 'Retail'?

It is always depressing to see the campus crowd dwindle down to a bare minimum.

Gosh, it’s like everybody in the School of Medicine has vanished to Bora-bora or Mauritius for their holidays, save for those in Year 2 and Year 3 (like me!) Even now, hardly half of my class attends the lectures anyway. I think the attendance peaked at the movie-screening

(Yes people. Watching a Hollywood blockbuster which was playing from the lecturer’s pendrive is part of our medical curriculum.)

Gah, no more junior eye-candies strutting Banana Republic jackets, Club Monaco slacks and Massimo Dutti shoes.

Reckon it to be even more saddening for Ms. Beauty Queen (who entered medical school to totally inject it with glam and fabulosity – that’s what SHE said). Who has pretty much the eagle-eye.

As we lunched over curry chee cheong fun, she let loose.

“All of us girls’ problems are related to MEN!

MENstruation. MENopause. Even that god-darn hyMEN!”

“Like totally,” was all I could blurt out in response, as I chewed on my packed lunch.

Little Bo Peep said, “I am sick of meeting Mr. Wrong.”

Honey, isn’t dating so much like shopping? You look around the boutique for something that suits your taste. If you’re lucky, you manage to find something. Try it on in the changing rooms and a few fabulous twirls in the mirror…” Ms. Beauty Queen revealed the answer to the Dating for Dummies 101!

“If you don’t like it, put back on the display then!” I butted in.

Ms. Beauty Queen went on. “So very true. We shopaholics, Hallelujah for plastic!, know how sometimes we see something we like on the hangers, and upon trying, ugghhhhh right?”

“While most people assume they understand their own tastes and style, it may not be so simple at the time. A skirt I likey so very much may not bring out my uber pretty legs.”

Little Bo Peep, always seeing a silver lining in every cloud, “Hey, one woman’s poison may be another woman’s meat!”

“Meat indeed, Little Bo Peep!” I coughed.

*smacks me really hard* She continued, “Some of my galpals met their boyfriends on The Net.”

Ms. Beauty Queen: “I was never really a firm believer in online shopping.

So has dating morphed into what-now-resembles retail? Is searching for Mr. Right an adventure similar to shopping for T-shirts?

What happens if the design you just purchased goes out-of-season?

“Next?”

In another un-related fashion emergency, like OMG, what on earth am I going to wear to the Graduation Awards Photoshoot tomorrow???

Help!!!

Oh yeah, I won ‘Himbo of the Class’ Award FYI! *beams*

18 comments:

Unknown said...

urgh~ tell me about it =.= pfft~
hahahaha..

oh! congrats Himbo!

Medie007 said...

Himbo?? what the heck is that?

oooh and what a smart colleague. MENstruation. MENopause. hyMEN. how smart! haha

joshua said...

Thanks, Aaron! But everybody could see it coming right?

Medie, yup she is a very bright Beauty Queen. Yes, she actually won a pageant or sth.

Fable Frog said...

online shopping is risky~ the actual product might not match the one in the photo and description! :P

AJ v2 said...

himbo??

what on earth is that?

Janvier said...

Is there somewhere to send the warranty card to? And it's still sort of 'rent' until you buy wedding rings? Once broken considered sold (oh that statement is so wrong...)?

Blogger said...

I had no idea how similar shopping and dating was until I read this wow. I prefer online shopping, the results were less disastrous... More choices as well. ;) I don't regret it.

drownedglass said...

Ooh congrats on making Himbo!

Regards to trying on clothes... if you don't like it you don't actually put it back on the display immediately. The right procedure is to dump it into the reject bin, let it wallow there for a while until some helper picks it up and puts it back on display. Hehe

Anonymous said...

What to wear for your graduation photoshoot? Don't worry, you look cute on anything. Hehehe...

Anonymous said...

“If you don’t like it, put back on the display then!” I butted in.

hahaha...
full of meaning...

nase said...

I totally agree with drowned galss, dump it in the reject bin! lol! Don't think I'll ever look at dating or finding the right guy the same again after this post, how traumatic!

p.s. my young padawan, I'm so proud to declare that you have come into full circle now and your apprenticeship under me has all but completed. with that, you deserved to receive the highest honour possible for a Jedi, a very lonnnnnng PINK light sabre!

joshua said...

Froggie, I know... But we can never rule out the possibility of finding a gem there right?

AJ, HIMBO = HE + BIMBO! LoL

Janvier, now thaaaat's a new concept!

Cider, don't show off your married bliss life now!

drownedglass, ahhh you know everything like a master!

Calvin, *blushes*

Nepths, LoL

Nase, oh my! I am sure you still have lots of hot hot suitors queueing up your way!

Hmm how should I collect the loooong pink sabre?

nase said...

*blushed...abt the long queue of hot suitors!

The looooooooong pink light sabre shall be teleported to you via my telepathic powers.....here's how...

now close your eyes, count from 50 to 1 slowly while you imagine yourself on satin sheeted bed, lying on your belly, butt naked with the sweet seductive scent of aromatic oils in your room and some strong hands massaging your back sensually.....

warning* - it might hurt the first time depending on the loooong light sabre I chose for you!

Ad Infinitum said...

haha, you seem to have really fun friends! I don't think my entourage of faghags can stand up to ms. beauty queen :p Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope to see/read/hear more from you soon.

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

Eh, I wanna buy that rainbow-colorful umbrella. Where to buy huh?

Anonymous said...

well, of COURSE it is, dah-ling! :-) welcome to Realization Island. lol.

... and on a sidenote, the global recession and the horrible spiralling of the retail industry explains PERFECTLY why there are no great men to be found - anywhere! :)

^^WiLLY LaM^^ said...

LOL funny description for HIMBO :P

savante said...

Obviously you really really like Ed Westwick.