Thursday, May 25, 2006

Wanna go "Down Under"?

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been really preoccupied with work, training and prepping for the much-deserved trip! So here is a temporary stand-in for now. Juicy bits coming up very soon! Pwwohmeez!

'Twas really really late, and I was super hungry without an idea of anywhere to go for food. The friends thought of going to E-Gate (supposedly the newest happening spot here) thus I tagged along.

We chose to try out this Hongkie Kopitiam (which is seriously trying to emulate the success of Kim Gary, but fails miserably) for supper and lunch-dinner-supper for me. Bad service, non-English-speaking waiters (so what if it's Chinese cuisine!), pricey-copycat food...

And pretty lame names for their menu offerings,

Fermented milk beneath your armpits wings? No thank you.

Okay, we know you don't serve halal food but... "It's a pig!"??? Serve whole babi there ah?

With such fancy names, how does a customer order and appear sophisticated doing it? "Excuse me, I want one 'Moo! Moo!' please." Or "I will have an "Oink, oink there!" (And have the waiter snort for you, right on the spot?) What about "I want one "Down Under, Fly Over, What Ever!"??? (Sounds like some sexual act!)

Hehe, a heart-shaped jelly courtesy of the cute chef.

The only good thing I have to say about the place is that cute affable chef who was particularly nice to me, well, cos they ran out of what I ordered. (unbelievable!) But such an abominable deed was forgiven cos he grinned impassionedly sheepishly at me and gave me free dessert! Too bad he ain't a strong enough reason to warrant another visit there.

Ugh, it's like the Lala Central inundated with congregations of Tucows. They were ALL OVER THE PLACE. My eyes were burning. Eww!

On second thought, I might go back and order a personal hands-on serving of "Down Under, Fly Over, What Ever!" from the cute chef. *slurps* Will see what about it can drive one crazy.

Coming up next: 6 young adults and ONE CONDOM...

10 comments:

Ganymede said...

... Those are real menu?! *blink blink
Yikes.

I love to go to Kim Gary's in Avenue K. There's this waiter I always lookout for. He's sooo cute. :P

Zemien said...

I'd have to disagree with you on this. I think Hongkie Kopitiam is a worthy copycat of Kim Gary.

Because:
1. They have better tasting cheese baked rice (more cheese and meat)

2. Free refill for your hot coffee/tea

3. Shorter waiting queue

Yes, the prices are almost the same but I hear Kim Gary is getting more outrageous with their prices and servings.

However, when I look at both restaurants I would say both suck on the same level. RM4 for 4 slices of bread and peanut butter is just pure exploitation.

Zemien said...

But I'd have to agree with defiant85.... KimGary has better looking waiters.

Derek said...

What weird names they have. I think it's intentional with the sexual undertones. ;P

famezgay said...

hahaha Ask those cute waiters lar "down under your pants?" ahaha.. uhmnn yummy.. ahaha

senaiboy said...

lol.. that's the weirdest menu i've ever seen. wouldn't know wat to order if i got that ^^"

ps - me always love going to Kim Gary's.. most of the time they hv cute waiters =P (is it a prerequisite to be good looking to be a waiter there?)

joshua said...

Def, kerazee overly-creative ppl they have behind their menu composing staff.

Z, 1. No. 2. No. 3. No No No. Okay, slightly true.

This is my blog and I say it sux, so it must suck.

Derek, were these names able to pull in the masses? i wonder.

lawrence, i think down INSIDE their pants better leh.

joshua said...

senaiboy, hehe i have sorta-cute looking friends working at kim gary. so i guess it might be an unwritten rule...

too bad "hot chicks only" does not apply. not that i really care. haha

Hafiz Hector said...

I often eat at those "all chinese" restaurants (hope I didn't offend anyone here), but I really think that the menu has gone a little bit overboard. It's fine that they serve pork (I know I'm not suuposed to in there the 1st place, but what the heck), but "It's a pig!" ! Hahahah. If they thought that it was just for laughs, I think it's either them or me who has a very bad sense of humour.

Don't like Kim Gary's coz they are rather rude when the place is over crowded. I think Wong Kok serves better food.

Anonymous said...

You guys, didn’y know the back page of bread names derived from heavy reading materials? Books like “The lost book of Inki”, “Chariots Of The Gods” etc… are books of great interests. Writers such as Erich Von Daniken came to fame as early as 20 years ago. Dan Brown?? I can say he’s a lucky bas**rd with no brains( his writings are amateur and lack of experience) if you think dan brown is good, wait till u check out Erich’s books.
I wonder if the writer of these menu at Hongkie Kopitiam is a hunk. Would like to meet him personally;*