Sunday, May 21, 2006

[Weird] Saturday Night Out

I know I said I ain't gonna go clubbing again. But I did. An idle mind is the devil's playground, y'know? Instead of sitting at home and watching Taiwanese shows with the family, I ringed Kel, fellow clubbing kaki (and driver!)

Me: Hello? (no sound) Hello? (heavy breathing) Hello?
Kel: I just woke up. (Oi, it's 10pm already la!)
Me: I am bored. I need to go out.
Kel: Glo?
Me: Cincai. You drive?
Kel: Set. 10 minutes.

20 minutes later, he came and we were on our way to pick up another guy and 3 girls (Carpooling is good for the environment!) to the infamous nightlife district on this little island.

Since someone I knew was working, I and only I got my cover charge waived, much to the chagrin of the others. Hey, I am broke and blue! And I just plonked my behind by the bar. Not in the mood to sweat and grind body2body with others on the podium. And my 'friends' abandoned me.

I was wallowing in my self-induced misery stoning there, basking in the loud pumping music when some Stranger Guy just came to the bar and sat next to me. Okay. I don't own the place so I am in no place to chase people off as much as I appreciate drinking by myself. Then, he started speaking to me...

SG: Had a bad week?
Me: Uhm yeah. Sorta. (Is it THAAAT obvious?)
SG: Can't be as bad as mine though.
Me: Oh.
SG: I think it has generally been a bad year for me.
Me: Sorry to hear that. (Never talk to strangers, I have always been taught)
SG: So what's going wrong in your life?
Me: Err... I doubt I should bother you with my problems. (Hello, I don't know you. YOU'RE A STRANGER!)
SG: Let us get a drink and talk? It's on me.
Me: No, thanks. (I have got double shots of rum, tequila, Chivas and Bacardi in front of me)
SG: Come on. [signals for the bartender to refill my tequila]
Me: I don't accept drinks from unfamiliar people. (Swear on holy Carrie Bradshaw!)
SG: Don't worry. I am not trying to pick you up.
Me: Err... I didn't mean that. (ARE YOU KIDDING?)
SG: I just want to talk. (Sure, they all say that!)
Me: Uhm, okay so talk.

I very much reluctantly started chitchatting with Stranger Guy. He was really eloquent and expressive. He listens to Joy Williams. Guess somehow that let my guard down for a bit. It's hard to find someone who appreciates the same kind of music you do. Oh, he was very polite throughout, like someone on a first date. (my take on this!) He did not inch closer nor did we have any form of physical contact... Uhm, until the end lah, that is.

He also thinks that Elliot Yamin SHOULD BE IN THE FINALE instead of oddball Taylor Hicks! He did most of the talking. I am not the type that opens up so easily and spill all my dirty stories. (I keep it for this blog! =] ) He is very-married with kids (err...), has rewarding job yet he hates it, came to the club with friends but wasn't in mood blablabla and reads Steinbeck too.

So we yakked for a while. Amazingly maintaining a conversation is possible under such high-decibel conditions. It was all wellbehaved. Nothing sexual, too left winged or touchy-feely. A no-frills chat with a stranger. An amusing experience, I would classify it as such.

A while later, my friends decided to come seeking for me and drag me to centrestage. He finally introduced himself as "Mike" and we shook hands. (Yes, this is the only physical thing we did) Then, we parted ways.

Nope, I did not ask for his number nor did he ask for mine. I didn't even know whether he is str8 or gay or whatever.

I am still pondering (and extremely flabbergasted) about the whole fiasco. I am NOT used to so much attention. And being chatted up by a guy who does not plan on bringing me home, is like ... I donno, I don't get picked up often enough to know the difference anyway.

Why me?

Was it my appearance? But I was just drabbed in jeans and a tee. (How boring!)
Was it my 'image'? But I am like Jimmy Neutron-nerdy. And enlarged pores are not flattering I am sure.
Did I appear talkative? I used SMS to communicate with the bartender. Very malas to talk.
Did I appear nice? Oh, I was putting on my "Fuck Off!" face.
Did I look so miserable? Guess I did. Fatigued from workload, uni admission essays stress, and relationship speedbumps.

So funny one.

"Mike" could just have picked any random fella to talk with.

I guess I will never know. Nevertheless, still very weird.

11 comments:

hcpen said...

so where is the 'nightlife' district in penang? I wasn't aware there was a whole district...also r u sure the guy said he wasn't trying to pick u up? That sounds really suspicious, str8 guys dun usually say stuff like that...

Anonymous said...

Hcpen - When you are bored in a club, sometimes you will just pick up people who look boring to chat with. And it can be on the purpose of chatting only.

Joshua, hmm maybe I should use sms to talk to the bartender next time i go clubbing. It's just hard to shout around ordering for drinks :P

joshua said...

Adrian, it's Upper Penang Road lo. Near City Bayview Hotel. Like half a dozen clubs there. Darndest got Uncle-Auntie Buffet-Club oso. HAHA

TOH SI LOH, SO KI KWAI. I also donno la. Dont care la, not like I am gonna see "Mike" again

Prince, I hope your assumption is correct. But I am not a boring-looking guy la. Oi, I was moody. hehe Has it happened to you?

Yup, the little mobile phone has multifunctions. Now got torchlight oso. haha

Xavier said...

well, there are people like that around, it's ok i suppose, i mean i would do that too (is that odd??? gosh!!)

anyway, told ya on tou fa wan, people just HAVE to get near u... get lucky ya...

canardbidon said...

you never talk to strangers?! I always talk to strangers!

hehe

spent lots of time in penang, but never been out there

famezgay said...

hahaa i soo shy to talk to stranger.. i feel soo weird.. uhmnn so i think i never talk to stranger de.. n ok I'm not attractive enough to let the stranger start conversation with me.. most of the time i sounds like a snob but uhmnn its all because i too shy to chat more ahah

Mr RM said...

Farquhar St? maybe you are just simply cute, or maybe a guy with a hot bod? or BOTH.... hee hee

joshua said...

Harvey, That actor (playing Orson guy) also appeared in Sex in the City! Personally I won't start talking to strangers.

Later kena penumbuk how? Oh please you know, I mana ada charisma!

Xavier, but you never talk to me one! *winks*

Canardbidon, man you got majorly gutsy balls.

Lawrence, I also very shy one!

Searcher, I think its the far end of Penang Road. And I cute meh?

Shake Trees said...

all is well said n all are well done. he's married. he just wana pour. dats all. ur just a new face to him. its usual. gud learning experience u had.

next time, dont stay alone. never leave ur fren alone. if u feel uncomfortable, say sorry that u have to leave.

next time look at d eyes when talking. it tells u a lot.

Mr RM said...

u r also cute lar.... everyone is cute in ONE way or another....

Xavier said...

next time i'll talk to u, for sure!